Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Derek Jeter

Last weekend we saw an end of an era for Major League Baseball and baseball fans. Derek Jeter decided to end his amazing career after 20 years. I do have to admit, I'm a huge fan of his. I grew up watching him play and he was one of the reason why I became a bigger Yankees fan after I moved to West Virginia. I wasn't able to watch him on a consistent basis like I was able to for the first 12 years of his career.

Derek Jeter will go down as one of the best players in MLB history, no matter what anyone says. To be sixth all time in hits, to help bring the Yankees back to relevancy, and help bring fans back to baseball are just a few things that he has done over the past 20 years.

If you ask anyone in MLB, not a single bad thing would be said about Jeter. Ask any manager or GM and they would take him in a heartbeat. That not only shows his character but his talent as well. Don Mattingly asked Yasiel Puig, "What player would you most want to be compared to when you are done playing?" Puig, "Jeter."

There are many doubters with Jeter as well. His WAR (wins above replacement) wasn't very good. His range isn't close to most shortstops. Blah Blah Blah. He is a winner. You never saw him jog down to first base, regardless of where the ball went. It was always an all out sprint. Why? That's how you are supposed to play, you never know what will happen once the ball is fielded.

So where does he stand as a shortstop in MLB history? And where does he stand in Yankees' Mount Rushmore. I have to think he is a top three shortstop. Cal Ripken and Honus Wagner have to be right there. As fas as the Yankees go. He's a top ten in Yankee history. Can't put him on their Mount Rushmore but that could change over time. He might be the second replacement with Mariano Rivera behind Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, and DiMaggio.

I understand it isn't all about him but the Yankees didn't make the postseason for an extended period of time until he became the full time shortstop. They then won five championships, with him playing a huge role including hitting over .300 in all World Series games. He then became "The Captain," the first since Don Mattingly retired from wearing the Pinstripes.

The last thing I want to mention is the play below. I've never seen anything like it before and I'm sure it will never be done again. There is zero reason for him to be in the position. This play helped the Yankees win the series. I remember looking at my roommate in college dumbfounded. That play just didn't make sense. One of the best plays I've ever seen in one of the biggest moments for his team.



It was a honor to watch him play and baseball will miss him greatly. Here are a few more commercials that hit home when watching them.






No comments:

Post a Comment