Friday, May 27, 2011

Fiesta Friday

So there has been a little response to my last post and the best part about it is when I question those people that question me, I win. Why? Because when I asked them what I said that wasn't true, they couldn't tell me. Here's the thing about it, I never said that I didn't like it here. I really like the Twin Cities but as I've said numerous times (probably not on the blog) it's a like huge small town. It's consistently six degrees of Kevin Bacon with everyone knowing someone that knows somebody. Confusing??? It's been tough for an "outsider" like myself to get into certain social groups because I didn't go to middle school with that group. I'm not saying anything is wrong with that, it's much like my hometown but just on a larger scale.

Ok, enough of explaining myself (though I shouldn't have to). Onto the ramblings...

The OKC Thunder took a nasty collapse against the Mavs. What I don't understand and never will understand is why do teams go away from what got them there when they have a big lead late in the game. You see the coaches calling plays and yet the players just wait for a pick and roll opportunity in the last six seconds of shot clock. Don't get me wrong, Dirk was ridiculous, but the Thunder's inexperienced really showed. When the Mavs' crunch time guys have been in the league for about 187 years and have been through the playoffs before, they aren't scared of the moment. The Thunder looked tentative. I said at the beginning of the first round that I thought the Thunder would win the West. Needless to say I was wrong, experience is huge in the playoffs. They weren't ready yet. Hopefully, KD will have a little more magic in his backpack next year.

Due to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't able to watch the end of the Heat-Bulls games last night. Judging from the highlights and what people have said, Lebron and D-Wade took over the last couple of minutes. Chicago was much similar to the Thunder in that they would just run down hte shot clock and hope that D-Rose would make a play. Again, don't go away from what got you there. With Lebron covering D-Rose, they had to make some adjustments and make plays but couldn't do it. There isn't enough to surround Rose at the moment. He needs someone else that can consistently get his shot.

Carlos Boozer certainly isn't that guy, and he certainly isn't worth the contract they gave him. Can't fault him for the ridiculous contract the Bulls' management gave him but he's not worth it, period. I'm not sure if he could cover me, let alone a NBA superstar. I couldn't imagine what Tom Thibodeaux is going to do over the next couple of years when he can't play Boozer over Taj Gibson. The Bulls were actually better when he was hurt at the beginning of the year. Typical Dookie.

Being a closer in basketball is not an easy thing to do. You need to take your lumps for at least a couple of years in order to be considered one. Unlike baseball, you don't need sweet facial hair or a crazy mullet. Larry, Jordan, Reggie, and Kobe are perfect examples of being closers. Those guys wanted the ball at the end of the game and everyone knew it. Jordan's last shot and Reggie's 8 points in 9 seconds are perfect examples of being a closer.

Durant and D-Rose aren't there yet. At this point in both of their careers they are still one dimensional at the end of the game. You know what they will do for their team's success. Durant is going trying and take a step back 3 and D-Rose will try to get to the rim. They will need to diversify their games in order to take themselves and their teams to the next level. I'm certainly not saying they aren't good players because they are both unbelievably talented. To quote the infamous Jay-Z, "In order to experience pleasure, you need pain."

As of right now, both Dirk and Lebron have experienced some pain in the NBA Finals. They are both hungry and obviously extremely talented. Their teammates know they want the ball in crunch time situations and like Jordan and Bird their teammates know where to be in order to get themselves shots off of the superstar. Just ask John Paxson and Steve Kerr about knowing how to feed off Jordan. I'm sure there are numerous occasions with Bird but I don't recall because I was like 5 when he was winning championships. Neither Dirk or Lebron are up to either of these NBA greats' level when it comes to closing but I could be speaking a different tune by the middle of June.

Scottie Pippen said that Lebron has the chance to be a better overall player than MJ thought MJ was a better scorer. I don't know if I can disagree with his statement even with Jordan being my favorite player of all time. Lebron has all the physical tools to be the best player ever. Now, there are a lot of guys that have the physical tools to be great but never are because they don't have the mentality. I think Lebron wants that mentality but isn't quite there yet. Though, he has showed me something by covering D-Rose in the 4th quarter in the Eastern Conference Finals. Will he do that again vs. Dirk? Lebron needs to be cutt-throat all the time in order to put himself in Jordan's category. I think he takes plays and some games off because he is so talented because he can. MJ wouldn't allow that. He was too competitive all the time. He wanted to be the best and worked his tail off to prove that. He was a prick.

Kevin McHale is going to named head coach of the Houston Rockets. I think that's a good move for the Rockets because I think he can really coach. Just make sure he gets zero say in any personnel decisions for the franchise. The Twolves are still reeling from his idiotic moves over the years.

The unforeseen circumstances that I wasn't able to watch the tail end of the Heat-Bulls game was that I went to watched The Hangover Part II. I figured I could watch most of the game and I really wanted to see the movie, so I missed a great ending. The movie was very good but as I've read with some other people, please lower your expectations. It's never easy for a sequel to live up to the first one. The movie was definitely funny, with some pretty ridiculous moments, but I'll let you figure out your own opinion.

Not sure if everyone saw the collision that took out Giants' catcher Buster Posey. Well, he broke is leg and could be out for the rest of the year. You never want to see someone get hurt but it was a clean play. People are trying to say that they need to change home plate collision rules in order to protect the catcher. I do understand that but what happened was a freak thing. He's a heck of player and has a bright future but you can't change the rules based off of one play when both teams are playing hard.

Twins are really bad right now. Carl Pavano and his 'stache might be on the trading block soon.

They are talking about adding a boatload of more seats to Michigan Stadium in order for the Wolverines to possibly play in front of 120,000 people. Are you serious? Is the below average team going to draw that many people? And it doesn't seem like they are just going to paint "the seats" smaller to get more people in there. Do they need any more seats? I just don't see the reason to add more. At WVU they have around 60,000 seats and it's all about supply and demand. I guess if you can add ten thousand new seats that means that the football program aka the athletic department will get back $200,000 per home game at the very minimum.

Hope everyone in Minnesota has fun at "The Cabin" this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Might do a quite a bit of THIS.

6 comments:

  1. Typical Dukie? Granted no Duke player has been tearing it up lately in the NBA but neither has any UNC alum. Out of all the Duke/UNC alums in the NBA, Shane Battier has had the most respectable career. No UNC alum since MJ and Worthy left the league has done anything in the league. Get past your distain for the Blue Devils and recognize that UNC hasn't produced great NBA players either in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ty Lawson is a great player.. Better than Battier.. Then you said only Jordan and worthy.. What about Rasheed Wallace, Jerry Stackhouse, antwan jamison, raymond felton, vince carter... A few names 20 times better than Battier that played in recent years or are still playing.. Just on my opinion. Know facts before you rant on about Duke and UNC.. But I don't think I remember reading anything about Hopkins saying duke was better than unc?. Oh well.. Duke fans are too sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like Dook. I've never liked them, ever. I'm a Carolina fan thru and thru. I respect their program and like a lot of the stuff that they do X and O's wise, but I don't like their uppity feel about themselves. Like they are above everyone else. You went with Shane Battier? Elton Brand wasn't good enough for you? I would even say Corey Maggette has had a better career than Battier. No UNC alum since MJ and Worthy? Are you serious?

    I'm not going prevent people from commenting but at least sign your name on the bottom so I can at least have some fun with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, Hop, is you're really bored, you could always come join me in the backyard as I battle buckthorn. You think Carl Hipp was tough to defense? Try battling a weed-stump that extends about 18 inches and seems to have the width of an aircraft carrier. With no hockey on TV, I have run out of excuses for not doing it.

    But you are right about St. Paul. Reno advertises itself as "the biggest little city in the world." Not true. St. Paul is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had some weed problems of my own. Problem is, this "beautiful" weather isn't helping things. I can't figure out if and when I need to take care some of the disaster I like to call my lawn. Much of the same with hockey for you with hoops for me. My everyday fix is struggling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knocked out three more buckthorn. My shoulder is killing me. Took (at least) two beers to deaden the pain.

    ReplyDelete